Looking for a dress to wear to a wedding, date night or cocktail party this spring? I am loving the dark moody blooms you will find on an array of prints this year. “Florals? For spring? Ground-breaking.” Comment below if you know what book/movie character said that… I do like to switch it up a little bit though, while sticking with a classic theme. Enter: dark floral prints.
If you’re not all about pastels and the traditionally bright, happy prints this time of year, this look is for you (if you are looking for something in a sunny hue, this look may be for you). Spring is notorious for weddings, and this particular dress would be a perfect choice that could easily go from day to night. The black background and deep berry hues really help those lighter blooms to pop. Tell me that you wouldn’t be drawn to this dress if you saw someone wearing it at the next spring/midsummer night’s wedding? I certainly would.
I paired it with a classic emerald and diamond pendant, but you could go another direction and add a chunky statement necklace, perhaps in black or deep berry (suggestions linked below). I think it depends on how formal you want to style it. For the purse, a pastel pink clutch by Kate Spade brought the look together quite nicely.
The Spring 2018 Runways were lined with dark florals and retro inspired prints. What a nice reprieve from all the flannel this winter, am I right? Also, a perfect way for those who love to wear black to embrace a fresh spring look. These prints will also translate well to Fall with the addition of layers, tights, and jackets. There’s your excuse to invest in one or more… yay! Below are some of my picks. Cheers to love (and open bar)!
I was not always a fan of Rosé, but it’s dramatically grown in popularity over the past few years and now it’s more of a #basic Summer beverage that anything. Sometimes overly sweet for my taste, but then when you find that perfectly balanced, sparkling pink libation, it’s perfect for toasting to a beautiful Summer night.
Here I am doing just that, while wearing one of my absolute favorite finds this Summer… An off the shoulder floral-lace and gingham dress from Revolve. That’s right, floral, lace and gingham… how cliche for a Southern girl, amirite? I actually bought this little number to wear to a specific restaurant in Athens, Greece this Summer, but fate had another story in mind. So I wore it out one Saturday evening to 8Arm, and then frolicking around the Old Fourth Ward. No fancy occasion, but who needs an excuse to wear this dress, or any dress for that matter? I certainly don’t.
I like to have a go-to Summer jacket for evenings out and this light satin bomber from Fab’rik boutique is just perfect. The print is a pretty, Summery floral on white, with a sparkly gold striped trim. Coupled with glittery, gold striped espadrilles, this is the kind of look that can take you from a casual day of shopping (at Paris on Ponce), to dinner without skipping a beat.
Paris on Ponce is a quirky antique shop located on the corner of Ponce De Leon Ave and Ponce Place. The Atlanta Beltline Eastside Trail runs behind the store where travelers are invited to roam the 30+ unique shops/booths, or just stop by for water and to use the restrooms. Here you can shop for an array of gifts and oddities including art, antiques, cool letterpress cards, records, clothing, and even tarot readings. They close at 6pm, so head there early and get lost in the possibilities.
Here are 10 of my favorite fashion and beauty items this Summer. I know, we’re already half way through July, but MOST of these pieces are now on SALE, so I’m glad that I waited to post this! Links to all sales below… And perfect if you still have a vacation coming up, or don’t want to give up on Summer so quickly, as I see Hobby Lobby has with their damn Christmas decorations.
1. The ever in style fedora. This one is light straw, perfect for the hot weather and still stylish enough to not require a beach/poolside setting. I found this particular one at JCrew currently on sale for $14.50!! This is NOT to replace the big floppy sun hats we all love, but to mix it up and add a bit of edge..
2. Which brings me to #2… sun hats are very hot this year in the fashion world – floppy, fringe, ones with pom poms, or “slogan hats”, such as this “dear summer” hat I wore recently in Santorini. I found this at World Market for only $29.99!
3. Ruffled off-the-shoulder dresses. This dress from Revolve is on sale for $59! And there are so many more like this to choose from!
4. WHITE. white shorts, white jeans, white tops… These angled raw hem white jeans are part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale right now for $38.90!
5. Statement sunglasses. These round Gucci sunglasses are 63% off at Nordstrom Rack, making them only $119.97! Say what?!
6. The cult classic NARS blush “Super Orgasm” (by the way, NARS has created an entire Orgasm collection for Summer that includes a blush, satin lipstick, lip gloss and illuminator). “Super Orgasm” is the same shade as the original “Orgasm”, but with gold glitter. Glitter makes everything better. This will probably never go on sale, but worthy of my list, none the less. $30 at Sephora
7. Mac Amplified lipstick, which produces a creamy high shine finish, in the shade “Impassioned”. This is a prefect Summer shade, kind of like watermelon. I am obsessed. When Delta lost our luggage on our trip to Greece, the first thing I bought was a lipstick from the airport Mac store- which is where I discovered this glorious shade of Summer!
8. One-piece swimsuits are back. I’ve been on strike since the age of 10, but I bought this adorable one-piece white swimsuit this year. I was surprised to find it at Forever 21 and it was less than $30! Unfortunately, it is now sold out, but this one is almost identical and comes in black for $38.
9. Florals. This peach dress with magnolias is not on sale right now, but still only $44.99 at DressUp Boutique. However, Marshalls and TJ Maxx have several floral dresses, rompers, and tops for super low prices right now… you just have to be willing to hunt. The black and white sundress that I am wearing in the image up top also came from DressUp Boutique and was on sale for only $25! Look for “final sale items” on the rack in the back of the store… this includes items with a flaw (this one was missing a button), or items that are last of it’s kind in the store. The discounts are huge.
10. Statement necklaces… these can be paired with a cocktail dress or a simple white tee, jeans, and strappy shoes. I shop for these at Stella & Dot, Kate Spade, JCrew and Baublebar. Baublebar always seems to be having a sale. I LOVE this Nomad necklace from Stella and Dot. It is currently on sale for $83.85.
And this is more of a layering necklace than a statement necklace, but I just picked up this tiered Y necklace at the #Nsale (Nordstrom Anniversary Sale) for only $23.90!
In my opinion, Summer has just begun. Happy shopping!
In conjunction with New York Fashion Week, the PANTONE Fashion Color Report provides a comprehensive overview of fashion designers’ use of color in their Spring 2017 collections. Featuring the top 10 shades seen on the runway, the PANTONE Fashion Color Report is your essential color guide to the season.
PANTONE Fashion Color Report- Spring 2017, including the “2017 Color of the Year”, Greenery.
Unless you dress in all black (I’ve been guilty of that from time to time), this palette really has something for everyone. I love the fact that it isn’t too pastel, or too neon, just a nice medium array of jewel tones that in my opinion, are reminiscent of fashion of the nineteen sixties. I believe that we will be seeing more sixties inspired prints this season as well, thanks to styles recently re-introduced to the runway by Roberto Cavalli…
As stated in studies of color psychology, color can manipulate mood. Think about the weather and the seasons… With the exception of the oh so glorious Christmas season, is Winter not the dreariest time of year? There’s something about that first glimpse of Spring that puts a smile on everyone’s face (similar to this lovely palette of naturalistic hues). In Atlanta, the masses flock to patios all over the city, moving the party outside. Piedmont Park is bustling with dog walkers, picnickers, frisbee throwers, and Mimosa drinkers. My husband says that when he sees the first bumblebees, he knows we’re out of the dark. So bring your shades, because we’re about to have another “Summer of Love”.